17/04/2020 by Farrell Hehn 2 Comments
MBA Application Essay Tips
Hello everyone! First, please review my letter of recommendation tips below. When considering the “stories” you have to share, some are best shared by your recommenders and others, by you. In general, my clients craft outlines of anecdotes for their recommenders. These anecdotes should demonstrate how you model qualities such as teamwork, leadership and problem-solving.
Essays vs. Recommendations
When it comes to the essays, with most applications, you want to give them a PERSONAL dimension. NO WORKIE. NO. Work is for the rest of the application.
This is one of the biggest mistakes I see: wasting an opportunity for the adcom to get to know you as a person by plugging yet another work story. Even worse, one that might already be in another area of your application.
Let me let you in on a little secret. You want the reader to feel an EMOTIONAL CONNECTION to the person on this piece of paper. EMOTIONAL. And this is best done by tapping into the universal-type stuff.
Take the adcom to the movie of your life for a moment.
Do this now
Even if certain application essay topics are not out yet, it will undoubtedly be a good use of your time to map out your Why MBA response in tandem with your short-term and long-term goals.
Research your career goals through networking online and offline. Research each school the same way. and then write out how their offerings and your goals fit LOCK AND KEY.
• The essays use anecdotes and examples that are written in chronological order. The reader can mentally see the story unfold.
• The story is told in brief sentences in universal non-jargony language.
• Each essay shows a different side of you, yet all of them feel authentic, sincere, and accessible.
• They demonstrate self-awareness, personal growth, leadership and results-orientation.
• You reach the reader on both an analytical and emotional level.
If you are seeking a coach to guide you on the journey, the first step is to fill out my prospective client form.
Cheers To Your Continued Success!